A few weeks ago, I had a post about overnight oats for the sweet tooth: Betty Crocker Must Pie! This prompted one of my readers to ask about savory oats for people who don’t really like sweets and I began searching and found some delicious recipes for dinner! I was astonished by how much I loved the savory version for dinner. They are super simple and quick to make- even my husband made it for me!
- Organic rolled or steel cut oats are perfect since you will be making them on the stove.
- Extremely tasty and filling for dinner from all of the fiber.
- Add a spoon of chili garlic sauce to give it a good taste/kick.
- Make 2 cups instead of what the recipes say to last a few days.
- Make sauteed veggies and add them in separately or eat on the side! And of course don’t forget to top it off with some Organic Soynuts to give a crunch if you’d like!
- Substitute them for pasta, bread or rice for any dish- much healthier!
Here are some of my favorites that I’ve tried for dinner:
Mushrooms, Onions & Parmesan Cheese Rolled Oats (360-400 calories)
1/2 tbsp Olive Oil
1/2 cup chopped onion
1 cup mushrooms slices
1 cup cooked oatmeal
1 tbsp grated Parmesan cheese
Salt, pepper, other spices to taste
Directions: Cook oats in a separate pan and saute mushrooms and onions with olive oil and spices in another pan for 3-5 minutes. Combine the two and stir with some Parmesan cheese with salt, pepper and spices to taste.
Spinach and Roasted Veggie Oatmeal (400-470 calories)
1/2 cup chopped spinach
1/2 cup sweet potatoes
1 cup cooked oatmeal
Salt, pepper, rosemary or oregano to taste
1 Egg cooked (optional)
Directions: Cook oats with water in a pan & then add spinach and for about 10 minutes. Then add sweet potatoes and salt, pepper, oregano and other spices to taste. Stir in egg as preferred.
Basil Pesto Oats (515-560 calories)
1 chopped garlic clove
2 tbsp pesto with basil on top
2 tbsp tomato sauce or a few sun-dried tomatoes
1 tbsp Parmesan cheese
1 cup cooked oats
Directions: After oats are cooked, add garlic, pesto, tomato sauce or tomatoes and stir for 10 minutes. Then, add cheese & any spices to taste.